Saturday, October 16, 2004

Fundraiser Note & Music Recs

Hey everyone,
this and next week will be fundraiser shows. So, please show your support of the station and the show by phoning in a pledge however small. We truly need your support to keep the station's operating costs paid. I'll still be spinning your favorite new and old tune-age, but in between it's fundraiser schtick. You know the drill, right? Right.

Many thanks in advance!
...
And... here's a list of music I'm currently digging (you'll see some of these in recent playlists as well, it's just that I hadn't posted the info on them as yet).

Artist - Album
Halovox - "Halovox" (halovox.com)
Synth-driven music by a guy named Frank from Mineola, NY. Love it! He's very obviously influenced by Depeche Mode and other New Wave synth artists and even does a cover of DM's "Fly On The Windscreen." Fun fact, he used to be in a band called Brand New Idol that has a track on the locally produced "2002 Bangs... Sounds of the 80s" compilation (available at CDbaby.com along with Halovox's album).

Robyn Hitchcock - "Spooked" (robynhitchcock.com)
Since the mid 90s or so, Robyn's been making more folk-oriented music. I really dig this new album he's got out, but you will probably not hear it on my show. I do love this guy, though, especially the work he did with The Egyptians.

Duran Duran - "Astronaut" (duranduran.com)
Astronaut just hit stores this past Tuesday (after three years of recording/producing it). This is the band's first album since 1985 recorded by all original five members. I'm not keen on the single, "(Reach Up for the) Sunrise," but there are other songs on it that I dig, and will be featuring on the show as soon as I get my copy of the album. (Flippin' US Mail!) (Update 10/23/04: For you chart-watchers, it entered the Billboard Internet Sales charts at #1, and entered the Top 100 chart at #17. In the UK top 40 album charts it entered at #3. The single "(Reach Up for the) Sunrise" entered at #5 and is now #15 on the UK top 40 charts.)

The Faint - "Wet From Birth" (thefaint.com)

The Countdown - "Scratch & Sniff" (thecountdown.net)

Sons & Daughters - "Love The Cup" (sonsanddaughtersloveyou.com)
Is it me or is there a sudden influx of excellent music coming from Scotland these days?

More to come.

Acting indifferent at the merch booth putting on make-up,

~{S.
(I do love The Faint, yes I do.)

No comments: